Temporary Maintenance (Alimony)

Upon filing a petition for divorce, a spouse can request temporary maintenance. The temporary maintenance order is separate from the child support order, but the child support order can affect the amount of maintenance ordered by the court. A temporary maintenance order can be adjusted during the pendency of the divorce or legal separation.

Final Judgment of Divorce Including Maintenance

When the court enters the final judgment of divorce, the court can order limited term or long-term maintenance. Before ordering ongoing maintenance, the court will consider many factors such as the length of the marriage and the ability of the supported spouse to become self-supportive. The court can order maintenance for a specific period of time such as three years, until a specific event occurs such as graduation from college, or until further order of the court. A permanent maintenance order ends when the supported spouse dies or remarries or the payor spouse dies.

Maintenance payments are tax deductible for the paying party and treated as taxable income for the receiving party. Conversely, child support payments are neither a tax deduction to the paying party or income to the receiving party.

Changes To Maintenance Awards

Upon the motion of either party asserting a substantial change in circumstances, the court can review a previous maintenance order, and then change the amount or the duration or terminate the maintenance. The court will consider several factors in making its determination whether to modify maintenance.

Stipulation For Maintenance

A stipulation is an agreement formed between the divorcing or divorced spouses, which is then submitted to the court for approval. The parties can enter into an agreement stipulating maintenance payments, but that stipulation will not be effected until approved by the court.

If you have a maintenance order already in place and desire a modification to that order, please call Attorney Kathy Reiley's office at 414-369-6309 or email Attorney Reiley to set up a confidential meeting to discuss your indivudal situation.

Wisconsin State Licensed Attorney:

Attorney Kathleen (Kathy) Reiley exclusively practices law in the state of Wisconsin.

Practice Focus on Divorce and Family Law:

Attorney Reiley focuses her law practice in the area of family law, handling legal separation, divorce, cohabitation, same sex marriages and divorces, child custody, legal custody, physical placement of minor children, child support, spousal support, paternity, marital property issues, and guardianships.

Litigation and Mediation:

With more than thirty years of experience in family law, Attorney Reiley has also participated in the Dane County Bar Association Mediation Project since its inception. Attorney Reiley offers mediation services and divorce mediation, as well as collaborative divorce, cooperative divorce, contested divorce, litigated trial divorce, stipulated divorce, uncontested divorce, divorce of elderly spouses, spousal support (alimony), extensive real estate matters involved in divorce, post divorce modifications and actions, and child support modifications.


Kathleen Reiley, SC
Reiley Law Offices
7161 N Port Washington Road, Suite B
Milwaukee (Glendale), Wisconsin 53217
Telephone: (414) 369-6309

Regular Business Hours:

Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM

Geographic Focus:


Milwaukee, Bayside, Brown Deer, Cudahy, Fox Point, Franklin, Glendale, Greendale, Greenfield, Hales Corners, Milwaukee, Oak Creek, River Hills, Shorewood, South Milwaukee, and Saint Francis, & Wisconsin.


Cambridge, Fort Atkinson, Hebron, Helenville, Ixonia, Jefferson, Johnson Creek, Lake Koshkonong, Lake Lac La Belle, Lake Mills, Lake Ripley, Palmyra, Rome, Sullivan, Waterloo, Watertown, & Whitewater, Wisconsin.


Bayside, Belgium, Cedarburg, Fredonia, Grafton, Mequon, Newburg, Port Washington, Saukville, Thiensville, & Waubeka, Wisconsin.


Allenton, Germantown, Hartford, Jackson, Kewaskum, Newburg, Richfield, Slinger, & West Bend, Wisconsin.


Big bed, Brookfield, Butler, Chenequa, Delafield, Dousman, Eagle, Elm Grove, Hartland, Lac La Belle, Lannon, Menomonee Falls, Merton, Mukwonago, Muskego, Nashotah, New Berlin, North Prairie, Oconomowoc, Oconomowoc Lake, Okauchee Lake, Pewaukee, Summit Village, Sussex, Wales, & Waukesha, Wisconsin.

Call Milwaukee Divorce Attorney Reiley Today:

To speak with Attorney Reiley regarding your situation, please call (414-369-6309) her or send her an email.

Top of the page

Kathleen Reiley, S.C.
7161 North Port Washington Road, Suite B
Milwaukee (Glendale), Wisconsin, 53217

Located in North Milwaukee in the Glendale community.
Attorney Reiley's practice reaches across Milwaukee County and into surrounding Jefferson, Ozaukee, Waukesha, Racine and Kenosha counties.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The information on this website is not nor intended to be legal advice. You should consult with an attorney in regards to legal advice for your individual situation.
Sigma One Group for website design and development and online marketing